Facilitating Enjoyment in Rehabilitation Fosters Long-Term Success
Recreation therapists use activity interventions that are intrinsically rewarding to the patient, which has the dual benefit of increasing motivation in treatment while improving the likelihood that healthy behaviors will continue outside the health-care setting. This concept is the inspiration behind the field of therapeutic recreation.
Therapeutic recreation takes a different approach from most other therapies. Recreational therapists learn about individual patients through assessment to determine meaningful interests that can be used to improve function and ultimately restore independence. Quite simply, therapeutic recreation makes treatment more enjoyable while increasing the chances of long-term success and wellness.
When you major in Therapeutic Recreation at EMU, you will learn to provide life transforming care for patients – from understanding their condition, to listening and identifying their passions, and using those passions to achieve treatment goals Long-term wellness is enhanced through the continued practice of these healthy lifestyle behaviors introduced by the recreation therapist.
We have an incredible undergraduate program for health science students who are interested in using people’s passions to help rehabilitate independence!
- Therapeutic Recreation Major
Why Study at EMU
Our Therapeutic Recreation Program is a ground-breaking and rewarding program that teaches a rehabilitation approach that is remarkably unique.
- Our class sizes are smaller, giving you a more intimate education
- Our faculty, many who are practitioners, will invest personal, individualized attention to you in your academic journey
- We have a hands-on curriculum that is supplemented by many health care organizations in the immediate vicinity
- We offer opportunities for students to partner with faculty who are actively involved in local and international research
- We have affiliations with a vast array of local clinics for practicums and internships to get you trained, connected, and working
If you are passionate about positively transforming lives through therapeutic recreation, then we think you will be right at home at the College of Health and Human Services at EMU. Let’s talk; please fill out the form and a member of our team we will reach out to you as soon as possible!