Designing, creating, and Improving Lives
Orthotists and prosthetists find their career to be incredibly rewarding in several ways. It is emotionally rewarding as your work will make a difference in individuals’ lives every day; it is financially rewarding–employment is virtually 100% in the U.S.; and, it is intellectually rewarding as the profession is continually changing as new techniques and materials are introduced. Orthotists and prosthetists help people regain their abilities and lead normal, independent lives.
Are you a problem solver? Good with your hands? Creative? Looking for a challenging, ever-changing career? If you answered “Yes” to these questions, Orthotics and Prosthetics may be just the career you are looking for.
If you study in our Master of Science in Orthotics and Prosthetics program, you will:
- Learn how to design, fabricate, and fit orthoses to enhance function, decrease pain, correct deformities, or aid in healing.
- Design, fabricate, and fit custom prostheses, based on the needs of the individual patient requiring replacement of an arm or leg.
- Explore cutting edge technology and the creation of prototypes with EMU’s new 3-D printers.
EMU offers one of the few accredited O&P master’s degree programs in the country – Master of Science in Orthotics and Prosthetics (ORPR)!
EMU’s program prepares graduates for residencies in each discipline preparing students to become certified in both areas. Candidates are eligible to sit for certification examination following the residency. Several states also require licensure before allowing independent practice.
Why Study With EMU?
Our students will be competent in fabrication, but caring for patients will always remain our cornerstone.
- Newly renovated classroom and laboratory space inside the historic Rackham Building, including the Lucille and Otto Becker Clinical Suite, a state-of-the-art patient exam suite.
- The Eastern Michigan University Orthotics and Prosthetics Program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs upon the recommendation of the National Commission on Orthotic and Prosthetic Education.
- Excellent career opportunities exist for Orthotic-Prosthetic practitioners both in the U.S. and abroad.
- Orthotics and Prosthetics are Allied Health disciplines recognized by the American Medical Association.
If you are interested in working with the newest advancements in technology alongside some of the most knowledgeable and passionate professionals in the field of Orthotics and Prosthetics, then we think you’d be a great fit here at Eastern Michigan University’s College of Health and Human Services. We’d love to get to know you more; please fill out the form and we will contact you as quickly as possible to talk more about our programs and learn more about you!
Click here for more information on our Orthotics and Prosthetics Program!