Enhancing care for our aging population!
Aging is a universal reality; we are all getting older. If you’re considering studying aging research, gerontology or dementia, you probably already have questions about human aging or a passion for caring for elders. This is a great time to consider a program in aging studies, as the global population is aging and careers working with older adults are expanding.
Perhaps you witnessed a loved one age and discovered firsthand how critical specialized healthcare is for older adults, maybe you desire a career change to focus on issues that impact elders, or you may wish to support your professional knowledge with a degree in gerontology or dementia. Whatever the case, we are glad that you are considering a rewarding career supporting the health and wellbeing of older adults!
If you study in our aging studies program, you will:
- Learn the realities and myths associated with growing old.
- Approach aging from a lifecourse perspective.
- Engage with students and faculty that come from a variety of disciplines to develop a comprehensive knowledge of aging issues
- Enhance your skill and abilities so that you can better work with and on behalf of the elderly
The School of Health Sciences offers 3 programs in aging, each designed to give provide you with a deeper understanding of the field of aging, no matter where you are at in your academic journey!
- Graduate Certificate in Dementia (DEMT)
- Graduate Certificate in Gerontology (GERT)
- Aging Studies Minor
Why should you study at EMU?
Our programs not only provide you with a comprehensive understanding of aging issues, we will also support you to apply your knowledge in community settings with elders. Beyond that:
- Our aging studies programs have a legacy of excellence that dates back to 1976
- Our program is administered through a committee of faculty members from a variety of diverse, interdisciplinary backgrounds
- Through individual advising and instruction, we provide you with consistent feedback and direction to help you meet and exceed your personal and professional objectives
- We challenge you to become more person-centered, passionate and creative in your work/li>
- We develop and maintain dynamic community partnerships in the field of aging to provide you with relevant and applied learning opportunities
If you are interested in working alongside other professionals who have a passion for caring for elders, then we think you’d be a great fit for the Aging Studies program at EMU’s College of Health and Human Services. We’d love to get to know you more; please fill out the form and we will contact you as quickly as possible to talk more about our programs and learn more about you!